Joseph Nelson focuses his practice on regulatory and transactional matters in the health care industry, concentrating on assisting health care providers and suppliers in ensuring their operations and transactions are compliant with applicable laws, including the Anti-Kickback Statute, the Stark Law, the False Claims Acts, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, the Texas Illegal Remuneration Act, as well as state and federal regulations pertaining to Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement. In 2012, he became board certified in health law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Joe’s experience includes: establishing and implementing comprehensive health care compliance programs; negotiating and preparing agreements in connection with health care transactional matters; effecting mergers and acquisitions, and the creation of new health care entities; developing business and marketing strategies to cope with changing federal regulatory schemes; managing government investigations of health care providers and suppliers; advising on Medicare and Medicaid billing and reimbursement; and providing guidance on operational and administrative issues.
- Corporate Law
- Board certified in health law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers – Rising Star edition, 2014-16
- J.D., cum laude, The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law (Staff editor for the Journal of Contemporary Health Law and Policy, 2004)
- B.A., University of Nevada Reno, 2001
- District of Columbia
- Maryland, Inactive
- D.C. Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association, Member of Health Law Section Steering Committee